Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Self-Portraits: The Obsession

It's not true. I'm not obsessed with capturing my image...again and again. Contrary to what most believe. It's not so much that I love my own image, but more that I am a readily available model that's flexible enough to be there when I want to take pictures.

It started off in college. My photography professor was a bit of... well, she didn't really like me. We butted heads often. She didn't like my subjects. I'm sure it was just a personality thing, but she decided that my next project would be all self-portraits. I took hundreds. At that time I developed my negatives and film in a darkroom... and honestly, I don't spend much less time on my photos than I did back then, I just get less messy. She shockingly loved my self-portraits and urged me to do more.

I'm not sure why, but I've never stopped making them. I thought I'd share them on my first post.



















2 comments:

  1. Eureka! This is how I feel as well. A readily available model..exactly. Everyone else thinks I'm conceited and vain. Pfft...not hardly. But...I am comfortable in my own skin. I want to step outside of the box more and I am excited about that. I love all these images. Most of these are my favorites of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the other word is Narcissistic lol However, I think like both of you on the whole "readily available model" thing. Plus, there's no one to complain, but yourself lol if you end up having to take a pose over and over until you get it JUST RIGHT!

    I use to take pictures of myself, haven't done it in a long time. Don't see it happening any time soon either...just don't have that kind of free time right now. :)

    ReplyDelete